Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Helaman 5:12 Always Remember Him- even at 5:30pm


12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.


I am still interested in the phrase "no power over you." Last night my daughter would not do her homework, my kids would not put their soccer clothes on when I asked, my three year old took a bunch of toys out of the playroom and brought them downstairs (which is not allowed in my house). OK- so it might not seem like a big deal, but when all of this is going on, as I am trying to make dinner in a timely manner, to get the kids fed prior to soccer practice, it made me so angry. In my life, I am not concerned right now about "his hail and his mighty storm." Nor am I concerned about "the gulf of misery and endless wo." I would like to have my kids be disobedient, have my family running late for where we are supposed to be going, (this happens a LOT) and still have the spirit with me. I want to be able to be calm and peaceful inside. I do not want to stop caring about homework, obedience, and showing up on time. I fundamentally think these things are very important. However, in the sacrament prayer, I learn that I can "always have his spirit to be with me." Last night, at 6:30pm, after I burned my hand on some sauce, and was thoroughly upset with my children- I did not.


Bruce R. McConkie explained that Satan had no power over Christ because He had "overcome the world." (How can I do that?)


In Ezra Taft Benson's book, "A Witness and a Warning"- chapter8- Come Unto Christ- he says:


Nephi said, the Lord "hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." ( 2Nephi 4:21.) Those who are consumed in Christ "are made alive in Christ." ( 2Nephi 25:25.) They "suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ." (Alma 31:38.) They are "clasped in the arms of Jesus." (Mormon 5:11.) Nephi said, "I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul." (2 Nephi 33:6.) Lehi said, "I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." (2 Nephi 1:15.)
58Let us read the Book of Mormon and be convinced that Jesus is the Christ. Let us continually reread the Book of Mormon so that we might more fully come to Christ, be committed to Him, centered in Him, and consumed in Him.
58We are meeting the adversary every day. The challenges of this era will rival any of the past, and these challenges will increase both spiritually and temporally. We must be close to Christ, we must daily take His name upon us, always remember Him, and keep His commandments.


President Benson said some of the same things that President Monson did, and that I studied earlier.


  • Read the Book of Mormon
  • Take his name upon me
  • Be close to Christ
  • Always remember him
  • Keep his commandments


I am pretty good at thinking about these things at 5:30 am- but by 5:30 pm- not as good. I need to be more like the Muslims who pray five times a day. I am going to add two more prayers to my schedule: 3pm- before school pick up, and another at 5:30- right before my melt down. Hopefully this will be the trick!

1 comment:

Michal said...

what a great idea--to schedule a couple of prayers before hard-to-handle times. i love it.

i think i would need to set an alarm or something. the muslims have a great idea--if you are in a muslim city, the call to prayer rings out over the entire city. that way, you don't get busy and forget to pray. i tend to remember to pray at my habitual times, but other than that i most often remember right AFTER i lose my cool with my kids. oops.