Friday, November 21, 2008

You Know Enough


I was contemplating more examples from the scriptures of those who felt like they did not "know enough" for what the Lord wanted them to do. I thought of Moses.


When the Lord came to him in the burning bush, his response?


"Who am I that I should go unto the Pharaoh, and that i should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?" I find it interesting that Moses was called then prepared for this great assignment. I don't think that is always the case, but he is showing us that if we feel it is our case- if we feel that the Lord is asking something of us that are not prepared for, or don't know enough about- we are in good company.


The Lord's response? "Certainly I will be with thee..." Have a little faith, you think I was going to ask this of you and then leave you all alone? Come on-


But still- Moses questions-

"They will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice; for they will say, The Lord hath not appeared unto thee."


The Lord responds with a couple impressive miracles- "sure they'll believe you- didn't I just tell you that I would be with you?"


Moses' response: "I am not eloquent, I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue."


Let's not be hard of Moses here- but rather look at our own lives- are we ever like this? We have a prompting from the Lord that we should do something, and yet we doubt, we question our knowledge, our ability... No- we might not have the knowledge, or ability- but if we have the Lord, we have what we need.


The Lord responds to Moses, " Who hath made man's mouth? Now therefore, go, and I will be with thy mouth."


So- why was Moses chosen for such a job? Perhaps there is a little clue in Numbers 12:3 "Now Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth."


The Lord can work through us according to our meekness, our humility.

2 comments:

Theist Think Tank said...

Here’s a million dollar question – If you were to die right now, would you qualify for the celestial kingdom? If you’re like most Mormons, you’re not sure. You try hard to be as good as possible, but you still don’t know if you’ve done enough. If the Book of Mormon is really scripture, this hope will always elude you. Alma 11:37 says God cannot save you in your sins. Are all of your sins forgiven? Moroni 10:32 says you must be perfected in Christ, which can only be done by denying yourself of “all ungodliness”. Have you done that? Do you repent on a regular basis? Is so, then it is clear that you sin on a regular basis, since only those who break the commandments need to repent. 1 Nephi 3:7 states that you are able to keep His commandments. In fact according to D&C 25:15, you are required to keep them continually! Since you haven’t done this so far, why assume you will in the future? Of course, we should all try to be holy; but if you think that sinning less will qualify you to live in God’s presence, you are mistaken (Gal 3:1-11). The assumption that good works are required for forgiveness only cheapens Christ’s atonement, making it nothing more than a partial payment. God chooses to justify us by faith. Jesus alone does the “perfecting” (Heb 10:14). God gives peace to those who trust in Him alone. If you don’t have this peace, it’s probably because at least a part of you trusts in yourself. Questions? Visit us at www.gotforgiveness.com

Anonymous said...

This post really hits home, I know that due to my past and the mistakes I have made, I have a hard time believing I can accomplish the important things the Lord wants me to do. I find self doubt very easy.

Thanks for this tremendous reminder.