Thursday, September 18, 2008

Helaman 6:28-31 Always Remember Him


I am reading in Helaman 6 today, trying to keep up with Sunday School. Secret Combinations have started- - -



28 And also it is that same being who put it into the hearts of the people to build a tower sufficiently high that they might get to heaven. And it was that same being who led on the people who came from that tower into this land; who spread the works of darkness and abominations over all the face of the land, until he dragged the people down to an entire destruction, and to an everlasting hell.

29 Yea, it is that same being who put it into the heart of Gadianton to still carry on the work of darkness, and of secret murder; and he has brought it forth from the beginning of man even down to this time...

31 And now behold, he had got great hold upon the hearts of the Nephites; yea, insomuch that they had become exceedingly wicked; yea, the more part of them had turned out of the way of righteousness, and did trample under their feet the commandments of God, and did turn unto their own ways, and did build up unto themselves idols of their gold and their silver.


So- going with what what I was studying yesterday, if the word "hearts" is referring to "thoughts"- Then Satan is putting things in thier thoughts, and has great hold upon their thoughts. What I want, is I want the Lord to have "great hold upon my thoughts."


I did a search for "hold upon heart"- and all of the scriptures were talking about Satan- except for one- which was Alma the Younger talking about his experience after he saw the angel, was unconscious, and remembered what his father had taught:


Alma 36:17- 18 I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.


Enos had an experience with his thoughts: 3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.


I am not looking for an "experience" so much as I want a peaceful state of mind. I want to be able to have my three year old having potty training accidnets, my six year old not doing her homeowork, my five year old putting real food and drinks in her playroom kitchen, my baby taking too short a nap, my husband never installing the baseboards, and I want to be happy and peaceful inside. I am sure this is possible.


Isn't this what the sacrament is supposed to help me with "always have his spirit to be with me"- THAT is what I need. There must be some part of the covenant that I am not keeping up, becasue I feel like I "sometimes have his spirit to be with me" so- here is the other half:


  1. we witnessed that we were willing to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ,

  2. that we would always remember Him,

  3. and that we would keep His commandments.

My guess is that I am messing up on #2. I study early in the morning, like right now, and then go about my day, not always remmebering him. Funny how both Alma and Enos's examples involved "remembering."


My favorite hymn- my favorite version- this is from back when I was at BYU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhU0HgTq94&feature=related

No comments: